Following your scenic tour of the Canadian Rockies on most occasions you will end up in the vibrant harbour city of Vancouver. Here’s a few things that we enjoyed during our stay:
1. Granville Island Markets by Ferry: Make your way down to the Aquatic Centre Dock for a short ferry ride, in what only can be described as a cute little tub, to the artsy Granville Island. Plan at least a day here because you can spend hours wandering around discovering it’s hidden secrets.
2. Cycle around Stanley Park: A centre piece to Vancouver this is a magnificent green oasis in the midst of the heavily built urban landscape of Vancouver. Being 400 hectres of natural westcoast rainforest the best way to get around the park is by bike following the seawall. Rental shops are easily found and there are options for all types of riders.
3. Dinner at Italian Kitchen: Located on Alberni Street this bi-level hotspot with a long marble bar serves inventive pizzas and authentic regional dishes. The spaghetti and meatballs was made with kobe beef, ricotta and truffle cream. In our opinion a must eat place when in town.
4. Steamworks Brewery for a Coconut Beer: Head down to Gastown to the Steamworks Brewing Company to sample their Coconut Beer. The brewery was established in 1995 and has a rare steam heat system which is a one of a kind in Canada. The team communicated that the feature beer of the month, coconut beer, was so good you couldn’t say no to one more.
5. Science Centre: A not for profit organisation this is a interactive and inspiring science and technology space that will entertain all ages for many hours. Check out the ultimate dinosaurs exhibit or sit down and shake your own hand in the hologram room.
There were many more highlights but the above is what came to mind when thinking about our top 5. All in all we didn’t even touch the edges of Vancouver as there is so much to do. We are definitely looking forward to going back and discovering more of this exciting city.